Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Spring?


Since most of my family and friends live in cold climates, I apologize in advance for this posting. Even if it is only February, it feels like spring has arrived in DC. I went out for a walk on Roosevelt Island today, wearing just a light spring wind-breaker. There were millions of birds singing thousands of songs (or was it the other way around?). Red cardinals and orange-breasted robins were dotting the dull leafless forest with splashes of color. Hundreds of small woodpeckers, banging their heads on tree trunks, added rhythm to this avian symphony. It was a gorgeous morning to be out...

To crown the arrival of spring, I went to a Vietnamese shopping mall in Virginia, where I ate spring-rolls while watching the Vietnamese version of "Dancing with the Stars." Everyone around was Asian, I didn't understand any of the conversations and the posters on the wall revealed nothing to me. It is good to be back in North America.
Gaston

No comments: