Monday, November 30, 2009

Dumaguete's Flying Nuns

I only took my camera out of the bag late this evening. I needed to explore the terrain a bit first, get to know this small town. My first impressions of Dumaguete are of a land overtaken by palm-trees and bamboos, between which irregular clumps of one story houses proliferate. For a few hours today, I got to zigzag through the place from the back of a motorcycle, my designated form of transportation for the next two week. I'm going local. Holding on is not a problem, neither is safety on the road... my biggest problem are the bugs that splat up against my eyeball. Thank goodness I brought Visine!

This evening I saw Orion in the sky. He always reassures me. I don't know why, its just one of those things. Some people believe in Guardian Angels, well, I have Orion. I become instantly happy when I see the constellation in the sky, tensing its arrow, aiming it at the moon. All will be well, if Orion is here.

On a side note... Dumaguete proudly displays one of the oddest monuments I have ever seen. A larger-than-life tribute to six nuns who came here in the early 20th century. To me though, it looks like a frozen scene from "The Flying Nun". Why is Sally Fields not on that boat?

Gaston

3 comments:

Linda Dalpé said...

Personnelement, je trouve ce monument un peu terrifiant... Je me demande quel sentiment l'artiste voulait nous faire sentir :) Je vais certainement suivre ton blog---bon séjour! Linda xo

Gaston Lacombe said...

J'te dis Linda, ça me rappelle l'émission des soeurs volantes, pis ça me fait assez rire à chaque fois que je le passe. J'm'attends de les voir s'envoler tout d'un coup... trop drôle!!

CD Relacion said...

I made a photosynth of that when I visited Dumaguete last year. The nuns are really difficult to make a decent synth of. Though its not good as my other ones. http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=9d13458d-c194-4fc4-a33e-2312d0ad2b05