Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Watch Your Knees

In Dumaguete City, motorcycles dominate to such a point, that today I exclaimed out loud: "Oh look, a car", when I saw on of those rare machines on the road.

We were three squeezing onto the moped today, and I was the meat in the sandwich. However, my femoral bones seem to extend much further than those of Philippino people. Every time we meet another transport, or make a turn, I find myself trying to pull in my knees, to avoid having them hit everything along the way. Wearing shorts today, I am sure that my long arachnid-like legs resembled two white parentheses, framing the blue bicycle.

And we drove a lot today. Most of it was to try to get the legal releases necessary to take pictures at the school without legal repercussions. But try to explain to Philippinos that signing one of these US document is "just a legal formality." After a full morning of chasing after the city school coordinator to get his permission, I then talked to a room of concerned parents about "model releases", and why it would be good to sign one to avoid exactly all they fear. Tough crowd!! I'll see tomorrow how many bring the release back...

Gaston

No comments: