Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sweet Banana Ketchup

I rediscovered an old friend yesterday - Philippino Sweet Banana Ketchup.

When I first went to Latvia in the early nineties, just a few months after the Soviet Union had fallen apart, sometimes food was hard to come by. Granted, nobody starved, but the stores and market shelves offered very little variety, and especially, very little that was fresh. It was spring when I arrived, so other than carrots and potatoes from the previous harvest, there was still almost no vegetable to be had until the summer.

But, my favorite, pasta, was there. No pasta sauce though... Everyone used ketchup, which I found to be the most insipid thing in the world - ketchup on pasta, you gotta be kidding me! How insulting to centuries of Italian tradition, and how yucky! However, one product saved me, and that was Sweet Banana Ketchup from the Philippines. Even then I was baffled, at two thing: Why was Philippino ketchup sold in Latvia, of all places, and second, how can you make ketchup from bananas? But, it tasted acceptable on pasta, and that was all that mattered to me.

So, yesterday I was invited to diner in a private home here in Dumaguete, Philippines. The mistress of the household had made a wonderful sweet and sour meatball dish, scrumptious Adobe Chicken, and some fried meat balls, which were served with... wait for it... Sweet Banana Ketchup! It was like a class reunion for me, getting reacquainted with a long-lost friend. And it still tasted just as sweet as it did back in the early 1990’s. But even as I read the ingredient list, I still could not figure out how you can make red ketchup from yellow bananas...

Gaston

6 comments:

finn said...

so great Gaston!! you're getting the full experience, thanks for sharing it all, including the food! good luck with the releases.

Gaston Lacombe said...

Hey Kristen - thanks! I got the property release for the school, and tons of great pics already too, now I'll see if some of the parents bring back the model releases for their kids. If they do, great, if they don't, that is fine too, I'll just have to adapt. Thanks for reading! - Gaston

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Es gan tādu banānu kečupu nemaz nebiju pamanījusi, pat tukšajos 90-to gadu plauktos!!!:) Nez vai tādu vēl joprojām pie mums var nopirkt... Hm... zinu, ko nākamajā reizē meklēšu veikala plauktos! :)

Alexalauva said...

Es arī īsti nesaprotu, kur Tu tādu atradi! Ja mēs to būtu toreiz zinājuši... Pasta.. nūūū.. to laiku vietējā pasta... :)

Gaston Lacombe said...

Tāds veikalos bija gan, es 92. un 93. gadā gandrīz pārtiku no tā kečupa vien! Ja pareizi atceros nopirku Interpegro veikalā, tas kas bija pie Bergu Bazāra. Bet, pareizi, ka tas arī pazuda...žel...

Unknown said...

Nu Interpegro... Tas taču bija vietējā mafijas grupējumam piederošs veikals, tur pat vairāki šaudīšanās gadījumi bija... Hm... Varbūt jāsāk meklēt saiknes starp Filipīnu mafiju un Latvijas... Jā, te jau sāk izskatīties, ka nepieciešama analītiskā žurnālistika! :)
Egita
P.S. Bet tavi posti vienkārši lieliski, sekošu ar interesi! :)