Thursday, December 10, 2009

A picture's worth

For my Practicum, my main job was to document the work done by Hands Across the Sea at the Cadawinonan Elementary School in Dumaguete City, Philippines. I spent the last two weeks visiting the school, taking pictures in the classrooms, during activities, and during a program where undernourished children are fed. I also took individual portraits of the Grade 6 pupils.

Before I left I wanted to thank the school for their welcome and their patience, so I got all of my best pictures printed, about 200 of them, as well as two 8X10 portraits of the Grade 6 children for their parents. The price of all these prints seemed very low to me, but not something the locals can afford. Yesterday at lunch time I brought these pictures to school, and showed them to the teachers. They reacted with such joy, and such enthusiasm. They went through every picture, laughing, discussing, looking at me and smiling. One teacher held a picture in her hands, and stared at it for a good five minutes, and then she said: "This picture has great meaning." I don't even know which picture had grabbed her attention, but her reaction, as well as the reaction of all the teachers, moved me greatly. As a photographer, I was reassured that pictures still have tremendous power, and I was touched that my images were able to speak to others.

Gaston

1 comment:

France Ringuette said...

Superbes tes photos Gaston!