Friday, December 4, 2009

Superheros on Parade!

On Thursday, my guides here in Dumaguete City invited me to go watch the Negros Oriental State University Founder's Day Parade. I love parades, they make we all weepy, because there is so much happiness in every one of them. I knew this one would be special, because I had seen the students practicing around town for the last week. And, oh boy, was I not disappointed.

Every faculty puts on a show, competing one against another. It is compulsory that all students participate, it counts towards credit. So each team includes, I'd say, about 200-250 students. This year the theme of the competition was "Superheros", and the students let their imaginations fly with some of the campiest and most hilarious Superhero scenarios I've ever encountered. All of their over-the-top costumes were hand made, as well as the gigantic props some of them brought along. Their elaborate make-up did not even run as they executed terribly complicated and energetic choreographies all the way down the road. All the music was live, provided by impressive drum ensembles created from discarded barrels, banging their way down the road in the back of pick-up trucks.

After the parade, there was a "Showdown" at the university's stadium, with many ten's of thousands in assistance. Technically I should not have been allowed in, it was for students, families and staff only, but I weaseled my way in by showing my own student ID from CDIA at Boston University, Washington DC Campus. It worked, and I got front-row seats!

The show went on for hours and hours, and it was impossible to come in or out because of the terrific crowds, or because of the action on the floor. The crowd squealed or booed in support of their dancers, every one laughed along every single silly superhero flying across the ceiling (really, with pullies and strings, or with tall bamboo stilts). I had a marvelous time, more fun than I've had in many, many years.

The few pics down here are just a small selection of the more than 2000 pictures I took. I hope they can provide you with at least a small glimpse into this terrific Philippino festival, in this ever-suprising city. - Gaston












2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic!!! Everybody loves a parade, but this looks like an especially excellent one. Wish I was there...

finn said...

great photos. such elaborate costumes! love it, shows the energy.