Monday, January 5, 2009

Obama in the House (but not the White one yet)

President No. 44 has arrived in DC, and the city will possibly never be the same again. We walked by the Hays Hotel yesterday, where the Obamas are staying while the Bushes are packing. The sidewalk was already crowded with the curious, waiting, hoping to get a peak of the next first family.

The top news items on TV today were about Sasha and Malia's first day at their new Washington school. I'm sure they won't have trouble fitting in. I went to the bookstore today, and from every magazine and newspaper rack, Barack and Michelle, hundreds of them, were staring back at me. Nearly half of all magazines featured at least one of the Obamas on the cover. I bought the Washingtonian, to see if it will provide good inauguration day tips.

The souvenir shops have increased their selection of Obama paraphernalia as well, so that the million who will be arriving in 2 weeks can all take a piece of this historical event back home with them. Just now, a motorcade with blaring sirens sped by my window. My first reaction was: "Well, I guess Obama is on the move again". I live on Pennsylvania avenue after all.


Gaston

No comments: