Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We Touched History

When I woke up at 6:45 this morning, I turned CNN on, just to see that the National Mall seemed already full of people. I rushed out of the house at 7:20. Seeing that the Metros were impossibly sardined, I was very happy that I could walk from my house to the Mall in just a few minutes. I tried to get as close to the Capitol Building as I could, and halted near the Smithsonian Castle. By 9am the Mall was stuffed at capacity.

It was cold... and I say this even as a Canadian... it was cold! Too many people there were dressed improperly, and I ended up lobbying on behalf of a trembling kid without a jacket. We found him a blanket to wrap around himself. I then lead him and his friends into exercises, since sitting on the ground shivering was not going to warm them up. Everyone near us were helpful, and in no time, the kid had a jacket, a scarf, gloves, and his friends were also warmer in strangers' clothes. I felt very touched by that, nobody ignored these kids, but sought to help.

When the dignitaries started to show up on screen, the crowd's mood was very clear. Anybody with the surname Bush was received very coldly, even with boos. When Bush Jr. came out, I saw a few people waving shoes in the direction of the Capitol. The elation was deafening when Obama arrived. Hillary Clinton also got a rousing ovation.

After President Obama stumbled through his oath, all 2 million spectators erupted. So many tears, so many hugs, and so many cheers. I have to say I was a bit emotional myself. Strangely enough, as soon as Obama was declared president, I felt a sort of weight lift off of the world. Bush was not there anymore, the world felt lighter. I don't know if Bush realizes that the euphoria surrounding this inauguration is not only because of the new president, but because of the relief at knowing that the 43rd president is now away from the commands, and the world's destiny is not under his control anymore...

Getting off the Mall was difficult. The crowds were funnelled through very narrow gates, and had to give way to emergency traffic once in a while. In many parts of the world, the tightness of the movement, and the constant interruptions might have lead to panic, trampling and stampedes. Today in Washington, every one around me was calm, cooperative, helpful, and nobody complained. It took nearly one hour to cover a distance I usually cover in 15 minutes, but everyone was safe, nobody got hurt, and nobody yelled or pushed. I find that amazing.

So, Obama is now walking down Pennsylvania avenue, but I am not attending the parade. I am home, resting my very tired legs. Let's hope now that the euphoria of the last few days carries us all towards more positive, constructive and happy times. - Gaston

2 comments:

Lyne Ouellet said...

Thanks Gaston for your blog! It's almost like being there. I didn't have time to read all your posts but I definitely will. Keep up the good work!

Our Adventures said...

I kept look for you on TV. :-) I am glad to hear that watching was what I imagined it would be. I agree with you about the weight off the shoulders now - but it does seem like such a huge burden for Obama. Watching his face, I did not see some of the happiness I expected, but an understanding of his responsibilities too.

I understand his statement for the need for us to take up the responsibility for many of things that need to be done and solved - not just US citizens, but the world. A speech that reached the hearts of us all around the world.